Translate

Friday, December 13, 2013

Just Hangin Around

I'll be the first to admit that sometimes the days here at the orphanage do get a bit long.  BUT, there is NEVER a dull moment.  For the first weeks I was here, my room didn't have curtains, so every morning at 5:30 the kids were looking in my room, shouting for me to get up.  I may or may not have pretended to hear them.  :)  There are of course other great things about my room which I'm sure ur wondering about.  I  ran into a cockroach in my shower the other morning....although I guess I didn't mind considering I would choose him over a tarantula any day. He must have thought we were friends bcuz he later decided to pop out of the drain while I was brushing my teeth...which scared the shi* out of me.  And of course my favorite was when he woke me up in the middle of the night and decided he wanted to share my pillow.  We shared some words and I haven't seen him since.

Oh and itz official, I have lice.  After itching my head for who knows how long, I finally had them check me for the little bugs.  I'll just leave it at..... it wasn't good.  Hopefully I don't bring them home with me....I wonder if they allow lice through customs at the airport?  :)

My $2 lice shampoo...yep pretty sure this will NOT do the trick


My BFF wanted to paint my nails the other day and ended up getting the nail polish all over the floor.  I told her to go get some toilet paper or something to clean it up.  She came back with a leaf.  I guess that works too.  :)

Kimberly letting me know a leaf works just as well :)


At night after dinner, the kids are able to play around for an hour or so...and this is usually when they are most hyper.  A few nights ago I was wondering where all the kids were....turns out.they were playing dodgeball.... with sandals!  The oldest kid was whipping the sandals at the youngest kids...but they seemed to all like it?
The kids lined up waiting to "dodge" the sandals
Everyday after school the kids are put into a room for 3 hours to do their homework.  And by this I mean they do SOME homework, do each other's hair, fight over pencils and erasers, color, take naps, play jacks, fight, clean, and of course play soccer.


Maybe doing homework







Clearly Not doing homework....

















The other night one of the lady's rented a bus for all of us to go to San Pedro Sula so all the kids could see the Xmas lights.  It was pretty cute because all of the kids were sooooooo dressed up, wearing jeans, nice shoes and even some collared shirts.  I could tell they all felt pretty cool.  Long story short, we never made it to see the Xmas lights.  There was an accident and the traffic was absolutely ridiculous. 

All lined up for the bus :)

Ericka and Pepe
  What should have been a total drive of an hour turned into 3.5 hours.  So 3.5 hours later, we saw some lights on the side of the road which the kids did love, had a ton of thirsty kids begging for water and 3.5 hours of Spanish music videos. At least we tried though right?
The last Saturday in November the older kids had an end of year ceremony at their high school.  It was really well put together and one of our girls received an award for her grades.  She was super nervous and excited... so I'm glad I could be there to give her a hard time about being a lil study bug. 

Chao!!  

Graciella, Pepe, Ericka







 



No comments:

Post a Comment