Translate

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Until Next Time Nepal....

Here's to summing up BY FAR one of my favorite countries yet...

After living in Nepal for the past 5 months, I have learned 2 appreciate (and LOVE) cold showers.  Sometimes even 4 per day (what can I say, it was quite hot).  My new favorite food is definitely momos...which is the unofficial national dish here in Nepal. I can get a plate of 10 momos, which is definitely a full meal, for only $.50 cents.  Since I've also been having daal bhat (rice and lentil soup) for both lunch and dinner everyday for the last billion days, I do have to say I might be ready for a new diet.  :)
Momos from a great place in Patan


Many things that have become the new normal...cows roaming the streets, crowded hot buses, passing corn on the cob vendors everyday, paying $.90 for a full season of Modern Family and $.25 cents for an egg omelet.  Walking up to a street stall pharmacy and getting prescription medication (without a prescription of course) for $1 is not unusual either.

My last day at school the kids had a fancy dress competition.  They practiced for a over a week and it could not have been a better last day.  It was beyond the cutest thing OF MY LIFE.

A Princess

Nepali Babu
My class 2 boys :)
Last day with all the kiddos















To the temples, the Himalayas, the meditation courses, the children, and the people of Nepal, this country is a diamond in the rocks.  I am so extremely blessed to have had the opportunity to discover this beautiful country and it's people and could never have imagined this experience to be as amazing as it was.  I'll have no choice but to come back.  Oh Darn. :)

Temples of Patan
Kopan Meditation Class















View from Poon Hill
My Amazing Nepalese Family :)



























A final few words from my Nepali grandpa....."We have the best of times, not the worst of times"  in regards to our conversations...which could not have been more true...considering we talked about everything from philosophy to religion and all of his amazing life experiences.
His ancestors told him "Dont be a beggar, be a giver."  Pretty sure he nailed that one along with all the other hundreds of thousands of Nepalis. :)



An African proverb I somehow just stumbled upon says "Every time an old man dies, it is as if a library has burned down."Let's hope THIS library doesn't burn down for awhile so I can come back to pay him another visit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment