Translate

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Village Time

Since I still cannot understand everything (let alone much) in Spanish, I of course had no clue where I was going when Sister Teresita and a van of 5 women picked me up for the day. Luckily for me, the 5 ladies spoke English so I could finally have a real conversation!  I soon found out we were going to a small, poor, villages to set up a free health clinics for the communities.  Over 6 days, we were able to help out 4 different villages, 505 patients, and filled 1550 prescriptions.
Below is a pic of one of the villages we went to up in the mountains...they were able to host us in their school.  Here is the "line" of people waiting to see the doctor.  :)
The people who live in these villages are amazing.  They LITERALLY waited all day for their turn to see the doctor.  The majority of them were there from before 8am until sometimes after 4:00. They never complained and were only full of smiles. Of course, all the kids tried to get all the suckers, hats, and stuffed animals out of us that they could.  And of course some people were ALL OF SUDDEN really sick....but that's to be expected right?  I guess if I had a doctor's appointment at 8am and wasn't able to be seen until 4:00, pretty sure I would say everything was wrong with me too. :)  Below is a pic of our oldest client....93 and counting!  And below...just another cute lil old man who waited around 4EVER very patiently. :)
At the first village, we were able to give out toothbrushes.  Unfortunately, we only had enough for the this village, but these kids LOVED them.  Though it looks like they may have loved the empty pill bottles that they would use as water bottles even more.

 One of my favorite lil guys....

 Some of the kids...and yes, I had to teach them the peace sign!  The kid in the front gave me the peace sign all the way to the car...hes obviously going to be a Honduran hippie when he gets older. :)



I'm extremely blessed to have had the opportunity to work with these 5 lovely ladies from Connecticut.  They brought down all of the supplies, volunteered their time and were the ones who made this all possible..... of course along with Sister Teresita...aka the Mother Teresa of Honduras :)

Until next time...chao!!

No comments:

Post a Comment